Basement Water Damage Restoration
We handle all of your water damage restoration needs, from your attic to your basement!
Basements in Mentor, OH are prone to flooding. SERVPRO of Mentor is there to handle your water damage restoration needs should your basement flood. Water always runs from high to low ground, and this means that under the right circumstances your basement becomes an unwanted swimming pool. But where does the water come from?
- One common culprit behind basement flooding is rain. Excessive amounts of rain in a short period of time can overload basement waterproofing systems, saturating the earth around your basement and then pushing in through foundation cracks.
- Even properly waterproofed basements fail because they can't handle the incoming water load, causing your basement to flood.
- The slope of your lawn can contribute to flooding.
If you have flood insurance, call your insurance provider. If you're not sure, check your plan. Some companies deliberately omit floods and won't cover the replacement of any water-damaged items. Knowing this upfront is very important. A lot of people just assume they are covered from flood damage and are shocked when they find out they are not.
The insurance company will send out an adjuster to assess the damage, take a list of all the items, and call in a professional. Many insurance professionals in our area will tell you to call SERVPRO of Mentor!
Whether you go with insurance or not, you'll want to call an expert like SERVPRO of Mentor. We will handle the mess and get your home back to normal quickly.
Understanding the Different Types of Water
SERVPRO of Mentor utilizes the best technologies to help dry your home or business.
Understanding the Different Types of Water
IICRC Standard and Reference Guide for Professional Water Damage Restoration sets three categories of water that cause damage in buildings. They are summarized as follows:
Category 1 Water - Refers to a source of water that does not pose substantial threat to humans and classified as "Clean Water". Category 1 water may become contaminated if it mixes with soils or floor coverings, building assemblies, etc... Time and temperature can promote growth and amplification of microorganisms in water, which can cause Category 1 water to degrade.
Examples of category 1 water are: a broken water supply line (including the toilet), and tub or sink overflows.
Category 2 Water - Refers to a source of water that contains a significant degree of chemical, biological or physical contaminants. These contaminants can cause discomfort or sickness when exposed or consumed. This water type carries micro organisms and is nicknamed "Gray water."
Examples of category 2 water are: toilet bowls with urine (no feces), sump pump failures, dishwasher water discharge, and washing machine water discharge.
Category 3 Water - Nicknamed "Black Water" and are grossly unsanitary. These indoor water sources contain unsanitary agents, harmful bacteria and fungi, causing severe discomfort or sickness.
Examples of type 3 water are: water sources from sewage, seawater, stream or river water, ground surface water or standing water.
Category 2 Water that is not promptly removed and remained stagnant may be reclassified as Category 3 Water. Toilet back-ups that originate from beyond the toilet trap is considered black water contamination regardless of visible content or color.
Knowing the classification of your water in your Mentor home may help you understand personal safety concerns and the necessary material and debris removal anticipated.
Handling Water Damage from the Different Types of Water
When your Mentor, OH home or business suffers a water damage, understanding what type of water you are dealing with is critical to ensuring proper cleanup. When you have a water damage, don't leave your property to chance. Call SERVPRO of Mentor. Consider taking the following precautions to help minimize damage or prevent further damage while waiting for help to arrive.
Damage from Clean Water:
- Shut off the water source if possible or contact a qualified professional to do so.
- Turn off circuit breakers for wet areas of the building if access to the power distribution panel is safe from potential electrical shock. Do not enter rooms with standing water, as electrical shock hazards may exist.
- Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping and blotting. Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removing lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and pop up wet upholstery cushions to allow more even drying.
- Move any painting, art objects, computers, documents, and other valuable items that may be sensitive to moisture to a safe place.
- Do not leave books, newspapers, magazines, or other colored items on wet carpets or floors as they may cause staining.
- Do not use your household vacuum cleaners to remove water as there is potential for electrical shock or causing damage to the vacuum cleaner.
- Do not turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet; do not enter rooms where ceilings are sagging from retained water.
Damage from Contaminated Water:
- Avoid all contact with sewage and items contaminated by sewage. Wash your hands thoroughly if you come in contact with contaminated items.
- Do not walk through contaminated areas, as you could spread damage to unaffected areas.
- Do not turn on HVAC system if there is a possibility of spreading contaminated air.
- Do not use household fans to dry the structure; airflow could spread contaminants.
- Discard any food and/or products for personal hygiene and cleanliness if exposed to the contaminated areas.
If you experience water damage no matter the category, be sure to call SERVPRO of Mentor to handle your water mitigation needs. We'll help make it "like it never even happened."
Trust SERVPRO of Mentor to Handle Your Fire Damage Restoration Needs
Let SERVPRO of Mentor handle your fire damage restoration!
Smoke Alarms Save Lives
It is so important that you check your smoke alarms. According to the U.S. Fire Administration, smoke detectors should be tested at least once a month and batteries should be replaced at least once or twice a year.
Smoke detectors also lose their efficiency after 10 years, so make sure to stay on top of replacing all your smoke detectors as well.
Fire & Smoke Alarm Facts
- Three out of five fire deaths occur in homes with no smoke alarms or when the alarms are not working.
- Smoke alarm failures usually result from missing, disconnected, or dead batteries.
- More than one-third (37 percent) of home fire deaths result from fires in which no smoke alarms are present.
- The risk of dying in a home fire is cut in half in homes with working smoke alarms.
It is vital to practice fire safety by installing and maintaining upkeep when it comes to your smoke alarms. If you do experience a fire, know that SERVPRO of Mentor is here to help restore your home or business!
Understanding the Fire Damage Restoration Process
A house fire in Mentor, OH can abruptly bring your entire life to a screeching halt. Fire Damage is not only devastating, but is can be incredibly dangerous. It is important for all smoke damage to be neutralized and deodorized to keep you and your family safe.
Before fire damage restoration and repairs begin, our crews will effectively board-up your home or business to protect your contents and belongings until the process of cleaning or claiming those begins. If you face a major house fire, our fire restoration crews will help you pack out and move your salvageable contents until the fire damage repairs are complete.
After emergency services are finished, structural cleaning is usually the first step in the restoration process. SERVPRO of Mentor can help reduce costs by cleaning areas that are only lightly affected by soot instead of completely having to replace them. Anything that cannot be cleaned to its original state will be cleaned so that it can properly be repainted. The process of structural cleaning is important because that’s where our professionals will begin the deodorization process. If odor is not handled correctly, it can not only harm your health, but linger for years to come. Our professionals utilize the right equipment specific to your fire loss.
If you find yourself with any type of fire damage, call SERVPRO of Mentor so we can begin the fire restoring process today!