Know the Facts: US & Ohio Fire Statistics
The unpredictable nature of fires can lead to so much devastation and loss for your home or business.
Understanding the facts when it comes to fires can help you to better prepare your family and employees in case of disaster.
General Fire Facts & Stats
- Cooking is the leading cause of house fires, followed by:
- Electrical Systems & Equipment
- In 2020, fire and lightning insurance claims had the highest average payout of $77,340.
- On average, across the US, a fire department responded to a fire every 23 seconds in 2021.
- In 2021, there were 1,353,500 fires reported, including residential and non-residential structures.
- In 2020, per 1,000 fires, the national average was 2 deaths and 8 injuries.
Ohio Fire Facts & Stats
- Ohio has the 7th most fatal home fires per capita in relation to the other 50 states, with Texas being the first.
- Smoking is the top cause of fire deaths in the state of Ohio, making up 20% of fatalities.
It's difficult and scary to imagine your home or business experiencing a fire. It can be hard to determine where to start when a disaster like this occurs.
If your home or business falls victim to a fire, SERVPRO of Mentor is "here to help." Our experienced technicians handle the care and restoration of your property and its contents. We handle the cleanup and the reconstruction, so you don't have to worry about juggling multiple companies.
If you find yourself in need of fire damage restoration, give us a call today!